Thursday, January 29, 2015

Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers

Stuffed Bell Peppers...I see them everywhere and they're a great idea but once they're made how the heck do you eat them?!  We just cut them up which then made me wonder why we stuff them in the first place instead of just chopping the peppers from the beginning but I guess that's because the peppers would get too soft?!  Something to think about but regardless they were delicious and my 7 & 5 year old actually gave me a hug and thanked me while they praised how yummy they were! =) I was pretty shocked and made a mental note that I will keep this recipe on the list of regulars!  I actually made this recipe up...  I've seen lots of different recipes out there that I've wanted to try but last night my daughter had gymnastics and I didn't have a clue what I was cooking for dinner.  I got home and decided I would throw some things together to make a healthy dish and this is what I decided on!  I'm pretty proud of the spinach addition because nobody would EVER know it's in there!  So healthy and so yummy!!   Try them yourself and let me know what you think!

Ingredients:

  • Quinoa
  • 6 Bell Peppers
  • 2 pounds lean ground turkey or I used venison from our freezer (perks of a hunter husband!) which is super lean.
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 2 TBSP coconut oil
  • 1 cup chopped spinach (I chopped fresh spinach in my food processor) 
  • 2 tomatoes, diced OR you can use 1 can of diced tomatoes
  • 3 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning (it's salt free!)
  • pepper to taste (a little salt is delicious but if you're doing the 21 Day Fix then don't add it!)
  • grated cheddar cheese
Directions:

Cook Quinoa according to box.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cut the top of each bell pepper and rinse out seeds. If you need to trim some of the pepper on the bottom so it stands up on the pan you can! 

Place foil on a pan or casserole dish and place bell peppers inside.



Heat coconut oil in large skillet and add onion, garlic, and chopped spinach and saute for 5 minutes or until soft.



Add the ground meat and cook through.

Add the tomatoes and spices and mix well.  


Once Quinoa is finished, mix it in the skillet and blend.


Tightly stuff the mixture into the peppers and then top with shredded cheese.  



Bake for 30 minutes.  ENJOY!!!!  Please share or pin this recipe with someone you think would like it!  How do you eat your stuffed peppers?  


Post a Comment

On Instagram

© Kristin Kotzebue. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.