After a long morning of working with my team and scheduling our upcoming Fitness Accountability groups, I was feeling very productive and wanted to go ahead and get dinner taken care of!
Do you ever look in your fridge and grab everything that needs to be cooked before it goes bad, put it together with a few more ingredients, and make a meal out of it? This is one of my favorite ways to cook...just throwing things together and crossing my fingers it turns out OK. =)
Today I had some meat that I had thawed a couple days ago to make Taco Soup, never got around to it, and now it needed to be cooked before it went bad. I also had some sweet potatoes that were on the verge of growing roots into my pantry floor, so those needed to be cooked too. I figured I could make this work so I grabbed some more ingredients and alas...Sweet Potato Stew was made, it was eaten, and it was a 10 out of 10 for everyone!
- 2 lbs lean ground meat
- 16 oz frozen spinach or 1 can of spinach
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 3 vegetable bullion cubes
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can ranch style beans
- 1 can green beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1-2 cans of water depending on your preference
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown the meat in a pot. Drain if needed.
- While it's cooking, peel and dice your sweet potatoes and then add them to the pot, keeping it covered to cook to potatoes.
- Once all the potatoes are in the pot you can add in the remaining ingredients (potatoes will not be cooked through yet) and let simmer on low for 4 hours.
- Once it was time to eat we topped our stew with mozzarella cheese and paired it with HEB Gluten Free Cornbread. This is seriously the BEST gluten free cornbread I have ever had!
Could dinner be any easier? Try it and let me know what you think!!