I looked it up and here is the definition: a soup or stew of meat and vegetables, seasoned with paprika and other spices. So I guess I really can call this Goulash, right?! Sounds legit to me! =)
There are so many different versions of it but this is mine and it was GOOD! I'm talking, not one complaint from my 7, 5, or 3 year old good...just silence and slurping as they ate! Now, that's saying something! =)
I like to cook with what I have at home and I've been known for just throwing a bunch of things in a pot and hoping it tastes good. Sometimes it's downright awful but sometimes it's a keeper like this soup! When a meal is easy, healthy, delicious AND all 5 members of my family love it...JACKPOT!!
Here's my recipe and if you have a favorite Goulash Recipe I'd love to hear about it in the comments!
- 2 pounds of lean meat (I use venison/beef because our freezer is full of lean meat from my husbands deer but you should use lean beef or you could try lean ground turkey).
- 1 bunch of celery
- 1 sweet onion
- Carrots (I used baby carrots and just kept slicing until desired amount!)
- 6 red potatoes (again you can add as many or as little as you like)
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 can of corn
- 4 Beef Bouillon cubes
- salt to taste
- shredded cheddar cheese to garnish with
- Peel your potatoes and then dice/chop your celery, onion, carrots and potatoes.
- Press your garlic if it's not already minced.
- Cook your meat, garlic and onion in a pot until it is brown
- Add all your vegetables to the pot
- Add your can of corn, undrained
- Pour in enough cups of water to rise slightly above all the ingredients
- Bring it to a boil and then add your cubes, salt, and pepper
- Steam/Boil in covered pot until all vegetables are soft then let simmer on low. Make sure you watch it while it's boiling so it doesn't boil over!
- Dish into bowls and garnish with cheese!
I'm already hungry again! =)