Wednesday, December 14, 2016

My First Half Marathon

Race Day was finally around the corner!  All my hard work was about to pay off and the goal that I had set out of the blue just 12 short weeks earlier would be accomplished!  At least I hoped it would!  ;)

No, I was actually feeling great about it!  All my runs had been easy and felt strong leading up to the race and I knew I was ready!  (You can read more about my training HERE!)

So the week leading up to Race Day we knew the weather was going to be cold and rainy!!  YUCK!! When I signed up the one thing I said was, "I just hope it's not cold and rainy on race day!"  haha!!!  I shouldn't have said that!  ;)  They toyed with the idea of canceling it but I am so glad they didn't and we got it done!

My family all drove to San Antonio to cheer me on!  My hubby and 3 kids, mother in law, mom, dad, 2 sisters, brother in law, and nieces were all there to support me!  They're kind of great like that!  We went to an early dinner around 5 and I had gluten free pizza and lots of water, then went back to the hotel to get ready for bed!  My throat was hurting and I wanted to be up early and prayed I wasn't getting sick.
 Arrived and getting my packet and bib!

Our first time on the Riverwalk as a family!  =)

I slept terrible.  Not because I was nervous but so excited!  I couldn't go to sleep and when I did I kept popping up thinking I was missing the race!!  Excited is an understatement!  =)  Finally the time came to actually get up and get dressed!  Click HERE if you'd like to see a few of my favorite things I made sure to have with me.  I don't eat much before a run so I had 1/2 a banana with some peanut butter, drank my Energize, met my friend Lauren in the lobby and we headed to the starting line!

Already raining but we're ready to Rock N' Roll!!

The race started, we got to talking and I never saw 1 mile marker.  I didn't want to look at them and we were in our own little world just running and talking so much that I didn't even know how far we had gone until we were past 5, then to 7, and we were having fun!  I saw my family once at mile 3-4ish and then at the finish line.  It made me cry and really gave me a boost during the run!  I was so glad they were there!

Some of my squad!  #thankful

   Proud Parents!!

It began pouring and sometimes the roads were so flooded on the right and left that we were all corralled to the middle of the street which made us slow down until there was more room on the road.  Other spots there was just nowhere to go to avoid it so we were in puddles up to our ankles, feet completely submerged!  It's all mind over matter so we just laughed, had fun, and kept moving forward!  We hit mile 10 easily but the rain then stopped and that's when the cold really started to set in!  We were drenched and I couldn't feel my hands...gloves should be something I add to my must have list because I was missing those!!  The last mile seemed the longest because Lauren looked at her watch and we knew it was the last mile so it was like we instantly expected to see the finish line but we kept turning and running, and turning and running...when would we see it?  It seemed to be the longest mile EVER!!  Then we could see it, what a relief!  I saw my family as they cheered for us and I could tell they were so proud!!  I crossed that finished line with so much joy and emotion!  Having my family there was so special and I couldn't wait to get my hands on my hubby and kiddos!    There were some tears and lots of hugs!  It's amazing what your body is capable of and the only thing holding most people back is the negative talk in your head that never allows you to get started!  You can do anything you set your mind to!  Just Decide. Commit. Succeed!

Run Kristin Run!!

 Exercise sets such a great example for your kids!!  Now my 9 year old wants to race! =)

 My biggest supporter and best friend!  He was so proud of me and took amazing care of me, making sure I was comfortable and prepared all weekend!  

My sweet mother in law!

 We did it!!!  Couldn't have asked for a better partner to experience this with!!  So much fun!

I don't think I'll start any trends with my after rainy race hair!  This took a while to comb through afterwards!  =)

Walking back to the hotel and a hot shower had never sounded better! 

After my shower we went and ate a celebratory lunch.  My sweet hubby carried me everywhere as if my legs didn't work anymore!  =)  XOXO

I can honestly say I did not run for a time.  I focused on just having fun and that we did!  We talked and ran a comfortable speed not even realizing what mile we were at in the race.  We did have to slow down sometimes when it got crowded due to flooding but I was pleased with my time for my first race and look forward to doing another one in the future!  If you're not familiar...your chip time is your run time for the race!  There are so many people that it takes you a while to hit the starting line so "clock time" is counting your time before you crossed the starting line, "chip time" is from start line to finish line so it's the one that matters!  =)  The other email they sent me had my overall time at 2:10:05 and I like that time better but whatevs!  =) 

This shirt sums me up to a T!!!  It was a gift from a BFF who knows me all too well!  I earned those cookies and enjoyed every bite!  It was so great to get home and rest up!  This was such a great experience and I am thankful God gave me a healthy body to workout in and supported me along the way!  I saw multiple shirts throughout the race with Philippians 4:13 on them... "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength!" It was a great reminder and boosted my spirits each time!     So there we have it...first half in the books!  Until next time...

Post a Comment

On Instagram

© Kristin Kotzebue. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.