Ok, well that happens to me often! The days are busy and by the time we get home from one of the kids practices after school, they're ready to eat! Yesterday was one of these days that I didn't plan for and I had nothing made. We could have made sandwiches or something else super easy but I wanted to feed us some VEGGIES!! I had some ground meat cooked in the fridge that was extra from a baked ziti dish I made for a friend the other night and I needed to use it! So my wheels started turning...I'll just make bakes ziti! The kids weren't having that! They giggled as they yelled, "NOOOOO!!" in unison! Apparently I make that a lot! So a concoction it was!
I looked in the fridge and grabbed some things, looked in the pantry and did the same and got busy.
Can I just tell you that my thrown together meal was a hit with all 5 members of our family! So delicious, so easy, and I made it with things I already had in the kitchen...WIN, WIN, WIN!! The kids helped name it...Honey Veggie Mix. Genius! ;)
Here is the recipe below. I hope you enjoy!!
Disclaimer: I am not a chef (that just made me laugh out loud!) or remotely close to being an expert. AT. ALL. So if you don't see a measurement it means I just added a "normal" amount...so cilantro, honey, olive oil... I just added enough to saute the veggies! If I had to guess on the honey I would say 4 Tbsp.?! Anyway, it's not a science..add as you want! =)
- rice (brown rice or quinoa would be even better!)
- olive oil
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 pound lean ground meat
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can Amy's Chunky Tomato Bisque
- seasonings of your choice- I used Tony Chachere's
- Start cooking rice in a pot per directions on bag.
- Pour your olive oil and honey into a large pan and begin heating.
- Dice your peppers and put into a pan with spinach and cilantro. Saute until veggies are soft and spinach is cooked down.
- Pour in cooked ground meat, black beans, and Tomato Bisque. Stir it all together and add your seasonings.
- Rice should be finished so they you scoop some rice into a bowl, dish your meat mixture on top of the rice and top with cheese! ENJOY!!!!