- 2 medium bags of black eyed peas
- 4 TBSP salt
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 clove fresh garlic chopped
- 1 link of lean sausage (venison / pork if you have it, or substitute ½ lb of bacon cut in short pieces, turkey bacon for less fat)
- 3 TBSP cumin
- 1 TBSP rosemary
- 4 TBSP garlic powder
- 3 TBSP black pepper
- 1 can rotel
- 2 cans of diced or stewed tomatoes
- 1 can chopped green chilies
- Put peas in a large pot and cover with water a few inches over the peas. Bring to boil. Maintain enough water to cover the top of the peas. Add salt, onion, and garlic.
- Slow boil for about 1.5 hours in large pot (use heavy pot and/or stir frequently so they don’t stick).
- After peas of softened, add seasoning & sausage.
- Reduce heat to low and slow cook for approximately 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt if needed, to your taste.